Saturday, June 29, 2013

16-time camper Chris on his Camp Whitman experience

What was your first week of camp like?


Chris is now a second-year counselor
Well, the first week I came, it was the summer before my 4th grade year in school. . My mom and dad both came with me to see me off because I'd never been away from home for this long before. I met my counselors and felt instantly welcome. Everyone on staff and all of the campers were so friendly and open, I knew I would love it there. Though I don't remember many of the specifics of that week, being that it was eleven years ago, I do remember it was more fun than I'd ever had before and, much to my surprise, I didn't feel homesick in the slightest. I actually didn't want to leave and say goodbye when my parents came to pick me up at the end of the week. That week at camp decided for me what I would spend every summer doing for many years to come.


As a counselor, what are your favorite activities for 4th and 5th grade campers?

I really liked having two swim times, including the lessons. I also remember this really fun game of tag we played during morning watch involving making something out of play-dough and giving it to someone else to hold while we played (the idea that we tend to take more care of someone else's thing better than our own). Now, I generally like any sort of tag game and I still find the swim times to be amusing.

What's your favorite part of camp in general?

Pretty much all of the water stuff, specifically kayaking and other boating activities.

No comments:

Post a Comment