Tuesday, July 15, 2014

CIT Guest Blog: Part 2

      This week we are going to be featuring guest blogs from our CIT campers from last week.  They are giving details about their experiences as well as their overall impression of what it meant to be a counselor at Camp Whitman.  Our second blog was written by CIT counselor, Delaney Lukwoski.

2014 CIT campers

  The past week at CIT camp was fantastic. At first, on Sunday and Monday, I was a bit apprehensive about it because I wasn’t confident in myself. Being, even partially responsible for campers made me a bit uneasy. I knew that I was inexperienced and that made me very nervous. The worst possible situations kept coming to mind when I thought of having to lead campers. On the flip side of that I was beyond excited about being a CIT. After being a camper for six summers before this, I felt like I would be really good at this because of all my experiences at camp that I enjoyed and I would get a taste of what being a counselor is like. I had so many conflicting feelings about it.

Delaney working with a Day Camper

As the week went on, I became a lot more comfortable working with the campers. My counselors, Jess and Ileya were awesome. They were always giving us all helpful hints and tips on things; like how to get the campers attention; how to keep them focused and how to get all of them to participate in the activities. The first time we worked with campers was when we canoed with the Adventure camp. I was a bit nervous because I have never been a great canoer, I’ve always been better at kayaking and preferred it. The campers in my canoe were afraid of tipping over the boat, so to keep their minds off that fear I decided to ask them about their interests. Not only did talking calm them down, but it made me less tense about the canoe trip as well. I ended up really enjoying canoeing and really look forward to doing it again.


Volunteer Chaplain, Colin, winding up with a pillow
to help get Delaney out of bed


...and the follow through
Getting to know all of the campers was one of favorite parts of being a CIT. I love just talking with all of them. Hearing about why camp is so important to them and how they’ve made so many friends throughout the years and always plan what week they are coming so they can see all of them again. I enjoy it so much because it’s exactly what I’ve always done when I’m at camp. I also liked planning the crafts and games we got the opportunity to lead at the end of the week because it gave me a chance to think about what some of my favorites are. I aspire to become a counselor because I want campers to have the same wonderful memories and experiences at camp that I have had.

CITs on the stairs that they worked on to make more safe for our campers
When we had our meeting with Rhonda on Friday about our past week, she asked us how we felt our week went. I told her I thought the week went extremely well. I was ten times more confident in my leadership skills and felt like I had a good idea of what being a counselor would be like. I connected and related with several of the campers and it made me even more eager to become a counselor. Later on in the meeting she made a joke about the CIT camp being a camp where you pay to come and “work”. I found this quite comical because if that is what working at Camp Whitman is like, then working for them is going to be a breeze. I’d forget it’s work in mere seconds, it’s more fun than it is work. 

CITs participating in our Wednesday Vespers service

            

No comments:

Post a Comment